Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition

JulesMCC

Identical to the non AIRFLOW Edition save for the replacement of the front panel with a grille/mesh in order to avoid unduly hindering the fans for intake or exhaust.
Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition.jpg

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Not inherently, other than older cases won't have newer features like USB Type C at the front, and the aesthetic trimmings that are very popular at the moment like tempered glass, RGB fans, and PSU shrouds.

Case cooling / cooling vs noise should presumably improve over time as well, as newer and more efficient fan designs come out.

The point might be more than PCS are less likely to review their stock to include cases that are 4 years old, and will probably go EOL / stop being made before very long. If it's a choice between bringing in a new case that will be available for several years, and one of these.

Though I agree, the Airflow version might well be my preference of the two.

JulesMCC

Not inherently, other than older cases won't have newer features like USB Type C at the front, and the aesthetic trimmings that are very popular at the moment like tempered glass, RGB fans, and PSU shrouds.

Case cooling / cooling vs noise should presumably improve over time as well, as newer and more efficient fan designs come out.

The point might be more than PCS are less likely to review their stock to include cases that are 4 years old, and will probably go EOL / stop being made before very long. If it's a choice between bringing in a new case that will be available for several years, and one of these.

Though I agree, the Airflow version might well be my preference of the two.
All good points. I will see what else PCS have in their catalogue that would replace it but keep the size, airflow etc present but add the USB C which is potentially of benefit.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, my point wasn’t that it was a bad case at all, looks up there with some of the better ones for airflow. But as oussebon says, it’s just weather it’s justified to bring an old product on board for longevity.

There are some fine cases in PCS selection but do remember you can also select that you have your own case and send it to them for them to build into, so it’s very open as to what you can do weather they stock it or not.

JulesMCC

Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the cases in PCS first and then in the market. If you have any candidates in mind please let me know.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for all the advice. I will look at the cases in PCS first and then in the market. If you have any candidates in mind please let me know.
If you want all out performance and beautiful looks, for me the Corsair Obsidian 1000D is sweeet.

But it's all dependent on what you're after and budget. Personally I always go over the top with cases, and Lian Li are about my favorites. I've got the PC-08 and (price aside) it is the best case I've ever owned, both performance and visuals. I especially like it because it's a different form factor than every other case which I was very tired of. It also looks incredible fully built because all the cables are in the secondary compartment and can't be seen. It's just a bonus that cooling performance happens to be excellent also.

JulesMCC

I had not considered the more cubic versions but I just found out that my friend has one and so it is on the cards. Thank you.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
One of the go-to cubes before this was the Corsair Carbide Air 540 - from 2013 I think. If you're not so bothered about RGB lighting and tempered glass.

JulesMCC

aha but that is almost 6 years old!

I like the lights and seeing the grand or so I might drop on a graphics card. It might be the drink (3 x IPAs) talking but I might be upgrading to the 2080Ti. All to play for. Will decide in a calmer moment.

Night night folks and thank you for the input and insight.

JulesMCC

FYI based on various reviews and the pricing here, I think I will go with the the Corsair 680X.
The Corsair 680X here is priced at £149 (≈$194), only £20 (≈$26) above the Corsair Obsidian 750D at £129 (≈$168) a 5 year or so design that, as @Oussebon and @SpyderTracks suggest is at greater risk of going EOL soon and lacks modern features like USB C ports.
Think I will just remove the front glass on the Corsair 680X because otherwise it ticks all my boxes, cool looking, loads of storage, USB C, nice cabling etc. I mean seriously Corsair, 3 fans suffocated by a glass panel and you claim it as having high airflow? I checked their website, they really do. 8C drop by removing it (check Gamer Nexus review) and thus able to lower the fan RPM? It is so coming out if I buy it.

JulesMCC

Sounds like a fair plan to me :)

NB, not all motherboards have USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C connectors for the front (some are only 3.1 Gen 1 / aka USB 3.0, type C).

This one currently in your prospective spec does have 3.1 Gen 2 Type C for the front: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10#sp

With regards to the spec more generally, are you now waiting for Zen 2 to be announced, most likely at Computex at the end of the month?

Thank you so much @Oussebon
1) I was not aware of Zen 2 at all, up to speed now, so I can definitely defer for a month or so if it is likely to give me a performance boost or a cheaper current Ryzen.
2) thanks for checking on the motherboard, I hadn't checked but had 'presumed' it had USB C, I was right but only by chance. You are more diligent than me.

Quick unrelated question @Oussebon ? French origin? As in "Oooh c'est bon!"

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
A very good guess, and closer to the mark than most! :)

Zen 2, as you've probably seen, will also bring with it 500 series motherboards, offering PCIe 4.0 among other things. Will be interesting to find out the details, hopefully very soon