Can't access a folder on USB HDD

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I've connected the HDD from my old dying laptop into my new one using a cheap USB to SATA adapter. Everything seemed ok at first except one of the directories gives me this every time I click on it:
1642781170799.png

I click Continue, but it just does nothing. It's a very big folder with a lot of files and directories. Any ideas?

If I go to it with Command Prompt, I get "Access is denied."

The Explorer window keeps getting stuck on that green bar that fills up, perhaps I need to wait a while longer?

Is there anything I can do to turn off this green bar scanning process that is blocking me from accessing it?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've connected the HDD from my old dying laptop into my new one using a cheap USB to SATA adapter. Everything seemed ok at first except one of the directories gives me this every time I click on it:
View attachment 31956
I click Continue, but it just does nothing. It's a very big folder with a lot of files and directories. Any ideas?

If I go to it with Command Prompt, I get "Access is denied."

The Explorer window keeps getting stuck on that green bar that fills up, perhaps I need to wait a while longer?

Is there anything I can do to turn off this green bar scanning process that is blocking me from accessing it?
It must have been created with a different user account than you're currently logged in with. If you open up the folder options you can push down permissions for your own account so long as you're an administrator.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
It works on all the other folders, and they were all created with the same user on the old laptop. I think the user on the new laptop is different because it was created with Windows 10 so it's named after my Microsoft account rather than just a user called "Phil".

I think it's because the folder is so big. I'm going to boot up the old machine and split it, it seems to stay on as long as I don't do anything intensely graphical like set the resolution above 1024x768.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think the user on the new laptop is different because it was created with Windows 10 so it's named after my Microsoft account rather than just a user called "Phil".
Yes, modern accounts are via your microsoft account, so your username is the email address you use.

It works on all the other folders, and they were all created with the same user on the old laptop. I think the user on the new laptop is different because it was created with Windows 10 so it's named after my Microsoft account rather than just a user called "Phil".

I think it's because the folder is so big. I'm going to boot up the old machine and split it, it seems to stay on as long as I don't do anything intensely graphical like set the resolution above 1024x768.
you can just right click on the folder, go to properties, go to security tab, go to advanced, Change the owner to your user

1642791979538.png

and at the bottom click the checkbox to replace all child objects

1642792042443.png

Click apply. That will then add your user to the permissions.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
That worked, once I figured out how to set the user.

It's super slow though! Says it's going to take 15 hours, as compared to 3:45 when the drive was in the old machine. I think I'll put it back in and do it over the wifi!

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
This is hilarious! I plugged the drive back into the old machine, but the screen won't work now! It boots up so I can see it on the network, I can open the share, but now I can't access the Pictures directory because the old machine user doesn't own it any more! And I can't change the owner back, because I can't use the screen! Hm, I have an external monitor that I don't think I have used on that machine so maybe if I plug that in, it will automatically replicate...

eh, no luck.

Last edited:

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Now the USB SATA drive is running super fast. No idea why it was taking so long earlier, it was copying at like 200K per second, now it's 50M per second.