Bad wifi in a shared house

Klindog

Hey guys, not sure if this should be posted here but I bought a good PC from here and am trying to use it for gaming and streaming but the wifi is pretty bad. I'm on the bottom floor and the modem is at the top of one flight of stairs about 10 paces away. Is there anything I could do to get a better signal? I'm getting 5Mb/s for downloads and 8-10Mb/s for uploads. But when I do a speed test and game on my ps4 it shoots up to 20+Mb/s for downloads on the ps4.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys, not sure if this should be posted here but I bought a good PC from here and am trying to use it for gaming and streaming but the wifi is pretty bad. I'm on the bottom floor and the modem is at the top of one flight of stairs about 10 paces away. Is there anything I could do to get a better signal? I'm getting 5Mb/s for downloads and 8-10Mb/s for uploads. But when I do a speed test and game on my ps4 it shoots up to 20+Mb/s for downloads on the ps4.
Have you got the antenna attached on the wifi card / motherboard?

Klindog

Have you got the antenna attached on the wifi card / motherboard?

I've screwed on the 2 antennas that came with the PC and there aren't slots for them on the motherboard so I'm guessing it's a separate card.
This is what I ordered with the PC: WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've screwed on the 2 antennas that came with the PC and there aren't slots for them on the motherboard so I'm guessing it's a separate card.
This is what I ordered with the PC: WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD.
Yeah, that’s fine then.

Are your drivers all up to date and OS?

Which version of windows 10 are you on?

There have been issues with v1903 and networking, it’s possibly related.

Klindog

Yeah, that’s fine then.

Are your drivers all up to date and OS?

Which version of windows 10 are you on?

There have been issues with v1903 and networking, it’s possibly related.

Just updated windows 10 to the latest version but had the problem since I started using the pc 2 months ago. I assume it's all up to date but how would I check if I need to update them?

Klindog

How is the PS4 connected to the network? Its own built in wifi?

Yes the PS4 has its own built in wifi but even that occasionally cuts out and after a few seconds I have a useable connection. By useable I mean approx. 1Mb/s upload or less.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would always suggest a mesh wifi system, they're the most reliable setup I've come across in 20 years of fiddling with dodgy wifi.

They've just released new mesh systems at really competitive prices which makes it quite affordable, whereas the last generation systems were extremely expensive.

Klindog

Quick question about my home wifi. Since I'm in a shared house and can't use ethernet cables, I'm using the wireless antennae supplied with my pc and am getting good speeds 50% of the time (20-50Mb/s). But sometimes, I've noticed it late at night (11pm-3am) that my internet on my pc cuts out and says "No internet access" but my phone/PS4 etc are still connected and have a good signal. Is this likely to be a problem with my pc or antennae placement?