Apple September event

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So @TonyCarter it's our time again, anything you're looking forward to today?

I'm still keen to hear anything about the upcoming AR headset.

New iPhones always intrigue me...

For those interested it's beginning at 6pm our time

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm always interested in the new phones/tablets, but only tend to update mine on a 3 year cycle as the annual upgrade isn't worth it for the incremental improvements. My current iPhone is a 12 Pro, so unless there's something amazingly compelling, then it will do until 2024 ;)

Have no interest in smart-watches though...and haven't worn/bought any watch since I had a nice Breitling one stolen about 20 years ago :sleep:

Maybe there's be some VR/AR/XR stuff on show...will soon see.

The only other thing I'd be interested in (which definitely won't be today) will be the newer M2 Pro/Max/Ultra computers...but again, I'm sorted for at least a few years with a Mac Studio Max.

I also meant to say my enthusiasm (for the events) has waned a little once the great Steve Jobs crashed & burnt, and no-one since has had the ease of public speaking that he had. Ever speaker since has seemingly only done it as part of their duty, not as a desire.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm always interested in the new phones/tablets, and tend to update mine on a 3 year cycle as the annual upgrade isn't worth it for the incremental improvements.

Have no interest in watches though.

Maybe there's be some VR/AR/XR stuff on show...will soon see.

The only other thing I'd be interested in (which definitely won't be today) will be the newer M2 Pro/Max/Ultra computers...but again, I'm sorted for at least a few years with a Mac Studio Max.
How is the Studio Max?

How's the bluetooth and usb functionality on it, did they solve the issues they had on the Mac Mini?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
How is the Studio Max?

How's the bluetooth and usb functionality on it, did they solve the issues they had on the Mac Mini?
It's been flawless, no issues with bluetooth/USB/wifi, and noticeably much quicker than my Dad's M1 Mini (his hasn't had any issues either). Obviously not down to the single-core performance as it's the same 3.2GHz performance cores...just more of them (8 vs 4, and 24 vs 8 GPU cores) to hand off all the system processes to in the Studio than the Mini...and 2x faster SSD.

It's also silent, or so quiet that I can't hear it over the fans from the HP Z-Book and 2 Thunderbolt disk arrays sitting next to it.

It's the Studio Display that's had a couple of minor issues, such as variable sound volume for no reason (even though the sound quality for a monitor is relatively unbelievable), and not starting up when I turn on the Studio Mac. There's no power button on the display itself, so you can't easily turn it on & off again (except by the wall socket)

I finally got the display to work with the gaming PC too, but it's game specific as to whether it will show anything or not.

I did this little comparison of my computers for another forum:
1662568252609.png

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's been flawless, no issues with bluetooth/USB/wifi, and noticeably much quicker than my Dad's M1 Mini (his hasn't had any issues either). Obviously not down to the single-core performance as it's the same 3.2GHz performance cores...just more of them (8 vs 4, and 24 vs 8 GPU cores) to hand off all the system processes to in the Studio than the Mini...and 2x faster SSD.

It's also silent, or so quiet that I can't hear it over the fans from the HP Z-Book and 2 Thunderbolt disk arrays sitting next to it.

It's the Studio Display that's had a couple of minor issues, such as variable sound volume for no reason (even though the sound quality for a monitor is relatively unbelievable), and not starting up when I turn on the Studio Mac. There's no power button on the display itself, so you can't easily turn it on & off again (except by the wall socket)

I finally got the display to work with the gaming PC too, but it's game specific as to whether it will show anything or not.

I did this little comparison of my computers for another forum:
View attachment 34635
Seriously classy collection there!

I'm still waiting for the upcoming M2 Mac Mini, once they've worked out the issues from the first M1 version, I'm fully on board.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Seriously classy collection there!

I'm still waiting for the upcoming M2 Mac Mini, once they've worked out the issues from the first M1 version, I'm fully on board.
I'd probably stay away from the entry-level Mini (in any config). I'd not go for anything less than 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, but also I think the 4-performance / 4-efficiency for a desktop machine is pointless...I hope they go for a 6/2 or 8/2 config which might make it as quick as an entry-level Mac Studio M1.

But don't forget that the extra performance of the M2 is only really due to the core frequency increase - so about 11% (3.2 to 3.5GHz).

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd probably stay away from the entry-level Mini (in any config). I'd not go for anything less than 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, but also I think the 4-performance / 4-efficiency for a desktop machine is pointless...I hope they go for a 6/2 or 8/2 config which might make it as quick as an entry-level Mac Studio M1.
6 fat cores as a total minimum these days, same with 16gb IMHO, wouldn't accept any less.

Although I really don't need much power for my MAC requirements, but it's more about the futureproofing. My i7 MBP was bullet proof for nearly 10 years until I hacked the OS to squeeze the non compliant metal graphics acceleration. Was silly really, will remember for the future, even if you're well out of date, never load a hacked os, just not worth it for basic stability.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, so here it is:

Apple Watch:

Apple Watch Series 8 @ $399
Crash Detection included, but very much a minor iterative update

Apple watch SE2 @ $299, actually pretty enticing for an entry level watch

Apple watch PRO @$799!!! Ok, insanely cool product, very niche market that will actually use the features, that's a proper professional piece of kit. I'm sure it will sell though amongst a niche crowd.
Crash Detection included

Airpods Pro with H2 chip: $249

Up to 6 hours on board battery, with up to 30Hours with the case
Speaker on the case to action pairing sounds and if it gets lost etc.

iPhone:

iPhone 14 @ $799:
6.1"
Same design including notch
A15 Bionic with 5 core GPU and 4+2 CPU
eSIM only, no more SIM tray
Includes crash detection

This IMHO is extremely important, SOS Satellite Emergency Services notifications. This is the first implementation of a wonderful technology. Basic notification rather than anything fundamental, but as a first step, this is really really impressive without a huge antenna and ginormous battery. I'd love to know more about the circuitry involved with this, very clever indeed.

iPhone 14+ @ $899:

6.7"

Pre orders from Sep 9, available 16th Sept for 14 and October 7th for Plus.

iPhone 14 Pro @ $999

6.1"
A16 Bionic 4nm with 5 Core GPU and 4+2 Core CPU
1600 Nits! up to peak of 2000 just insane, full HDR10 as currently.
Always on Display. I'm sure there will be an option to disable this as may be a battery hit. Good in long term goals though.
New design with new slot rather than the notch. But they've incorporated it into a notification bar, so it appears like it's part of a notification window. Called "Dynamic Island" :ROFLMAO:
Quite a major camera update: 48MP camera, 24mm focal length, pro raw at the full 48MP
Includes the Emergency Services SOS via satellite

iPhone 14 Pro Max @ $1099

Pre order both on September 9th, available on 16th Sept