X299 Motherboards

Beangoose

Hello,

Anyone know when other motherboards will be available for intel overclock configuration?
I have been told by PCS the Rampage VI extreme is no longer in-stock and no more are available. That leaves 3 mid-range MBs in the Intel overclock.

Thanks,
Bean

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't recommend an X299 build. Do you have any particular reason for doing so?

Beangoose

I wouldn't recommend an X299 build. Do you have any particular reason for doing so?

Not in particular no but I am looking for high clock-speed multi-threaded setup. Two main uses are gaming (going to 4k) and development where I need multiple VMs and development environments running.

I was looking at an OC'ed i9-9920x with dual M.2 and 2xGFX in SLI. My previous build was a Rampage 3 Extreme and it has been rock steady for over 8 years constant use so I was hoping to use them again.

Why would you not recommend X299?

Bean

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
They are incredibly expensive for what you get. AMD is a far better option for high end multi-core systems IMO.

Would the 9900k overclocked to 5GHz on the Z390 platform suffice? 8 core/16 threads?

Otherwise I would tend to look towards Threadripper, more specifically the TR 2950X.

Have a gander at the various options and if you still think the 9920x is your best bet we can have a look at suggesting a build.

At the moment the 9900k is the "best" 4k gaming chip. The fact that it has 8 cores and 16 threads makes it pretty handy for professional applications too.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Agreed with the above advice.

The 9900k is the 'best' gaming CPU for any resolution. It's worth bearing in mind through that at 4k, the difference between performance in CPUs is negligible at most. An R5 2600x would be just as good.

The AORUS Master would be my choice over the Asus Hero for the Z390 mobos.

Pricing can vary, but you need as many cores as you can get then threadripper builds will usually be way better than Intel. And for 4k gaming, especially using the gaming mode in AMD's software, the performance is ultimately going to be pretty similar.